Type in a key word to search for related blog posts

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Making a “Natural Conditioner”


So I was making an Aloe lotion when I added to much water, the result was a bit runny, Usable, but runny. It sort of reminded me of Conditioner. That got me thinking. What is Hair conditioner anyway, if not a runny version of hand cream.
Thank God for the internet, I looked up the ingredients of Conditioner (not for the first time and probably not my last time either). This is what I found. Most conditioners contain these types of ingredients:
Moisturizer (Humectants) Like Glycerine attract moisture to hair
Reconstructor – Protein, amino acid (wheat protein)
Acidifiers– Citric Acid
Detanglers– Haven't found the active for this yet – I read that Detanglers
are acidifiers and are polymers

Thermal protector – Not found yet
Glosser - Light reflecting like Dimethicone, Silicones
Oil – Olive, Jojoba, Safflower, cocoa and Shea butter, Banana extract
Surfactant - Keratin
Sequestrants – Soften hard water (baking soda)
Lubricants – fatty alcohols, dimethicone, panthanol etc.
Anti Static agents – Some humectants can be used.


Now, I have the watery lotion, all I have to do now is add some of these additives and test on my 8 year old daughter ( she has very long tangle prone curly hair). I will only add natural plant derived ingredients so no cones, etc. I think that I can substitute it though for veg. Glycerine. I'll take some pictures and post later. I'll also let you know what I end up putting in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...